"Every child is special"

 

In the movie we can refer to multiple situations that can occur with students in a classroom.


How do you think you can use what you have learned to your advantage for language teaching?




Students: Ashley García, Rafael Garizabalo and Nataly Guerra. 

Comments

  1. Good Morning,
    What do you mean by my advanatages for language teaching?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok Ms. We are talking about our future as teachers. How it might benefit what we learned in the movie and in class. In what way can we use it?

      Delete
  2. Good Morning guys! Well, after watching the movie I learned a lot of significant things to make my life easier when becoming a Language Teacher and I think these things will not only apply to language teaching but to teaching itself. This time I will highlight two main pieces of advice:
    1. Seek cooperation: In real life, we can give it all to our students and do everything we know for them to learn at their fullest but if we do not take into account the situation they live in the community, the relationship they have with their parents, even the school rules, we will not be able to succeed. We need to find a way to involve all these aspects to truly make an impact in the students' life.
    2. High expectations and patience: As teachers, we will have the power to push or block our students' mindsets. We should always encourage our students for the good works they are doing but we must be careful with those cases in which we need to make corrections about errors or behaviors. Negative phrasing will stuck easier in their minds and will affect them the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you, Priscila. Because it is true that as teachers we must have high expectations all the time so that they can feel that they can do the activities and be better every day. And also show them that each mistake and error can be the way to their improvement.

      Delete
    2. correct, since if we start with a good attitude, high expectations, good energy, all of this is transmuted into actions, the ideal will always be to transmit good vibes to the students.

      Delete
  3. Good Morning, Well I think that the environment in which education happens, interest and attention for students are the main ways to achieve a conducive education, we must not only concentrate on what we teach but also on how we do it and how they understand it. Care about their development, showing interest in their intellectual growth, increases the interest and appreciation of the student not only with us as teachers, but also with the subject, I think that this happens unconsciously, in the film we can observe how the student It opens up to its environment when the teacher shows interest in its development and cares about it, as it allows the teacher to affect it has a lot to do with the teacher's interest in their personal and intellectual growth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yelina Perez.
    First of all, the movie was beyond my expectations, I learned a lot of things after I saw it, and sincerely teachers play a main role in the students lives, the impact we cause in the students is no joke.
    The benefits that would be for my students all the knowledge and different teaching practices that I had been acquiring since I started this career would be that they are going to be able to be themselves in the classroom, surrounded by positive expectations, patience and the main moto "you can make mistakes, we are together learning from them."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But, even though we can apply what we had learned, we have to still studying because everyday, there is more things to learn, different students, and a constant development of the world around us. We have to be prepared.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you, Yelina. We must be prepare for future challenges in our path as teachers because the world is changing also the students and their needs. We are an important role in every student's life for a long or short period of time and we have to take that seriously.

      Delete
    3. Exactly. When we see the movies and after reading the theories we see how important is the teacher's role and the fact that teaching is a process of reciprocation in which teachers provide comprehensible input, but at the end the teacher receives the feedback of the performances of the students individually and as a whole. This process should be for sure the foundation of teaching given the fact that every day we will encounter new students needs and learning styles and these results will represent the body of learning for teachers to develop new ways of teaching and scaffolding.

      Delete
  5. I think it is relevant to promote an autonomous learning by letting students recognise their own potential and experiences both in life and in the learning processes themselves. With this approach, the students not only develop thier language competences or skills, but they become more confident and self-critical in their learning; they start transforming and creating their knowledge. I consider that if we keep our students motivated, concious in what their doing and willing to grow, the teaching is succesful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree with you Manuel. It is very helpful for the students to recognize or measure their own progress. If they keep track of their learning the will know when to ask for extra help or setting higher expectantions of themselves and they will be more engaged with their process (intrinsic motivation).

      Delete
    2. Yes Manuel, you're right. It is essential that students can do things by themselves and recognise their progress and their mistakes. So, in this way they learn to be independent which is important to have self-confidence, overcome them and grow up to try their best every day. Feeling sure that they can get the personal goals.

      Delete
  6. Hello, my name is Delany Pardo Alcazar, I have had many classes that I have liked throughout my career, I have learned how to teach a class, how I should treat students, how my clothing should be and what tools I can use in class that can be good and dynamic for students. I consider myself a very creative and innovative person when I want to do something, I like to use all the resources I have at hand to do what I want. I have learned grammar and vocabulary about English and French. I also learned theories for the acquisition of a second language this semester, I think I will be a good teacher in the future so that my students feel good in my class. I can use what I have learned to be an affectionate, dynamic, innovative teacher that is necessary for the classes of the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The teaching of a language is complicated, it would use activities and methods focused on the student, with didactic and attractive strategies to maintain the intention and active participation of the students. Understanding how a language works and learning it is important.

    Rafael Ortega

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right motivation is very important when teaching a new language. But you have to take into account not only how dynamic the class is but also the way it is taught, and how students understand it, that is why it is important to know how they learn or why they do not learn.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you, dynamic strategies are essential to keep the student interested and motivated and thus continue to have a satisfactory learning process. It is a good way to take advantage of what we have learned.

      Delete
    3. I agree with you Leonardo, as teachers, we must take into account the abilities and shortcomings of the students, as well as their capacities. For this reason, classes must be adapted depending on what the students need at that time.

      Delete
  8. I really liked this movie because it goes behond of regular scenarios of teaching, this movies shows that teachers do more than just teach a particular subject, teachers identify the needs of students and patiently work, good teachers go the extra mile and go through different challenges trying to find the way in which students learn better, thus, that's what I learnt from this movie, and applying this in a teacher daily basis is what I would take as an advantage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your opinion breider, it is a very interesting film, it changed the life of his student. We cannot always teach the basics, we must be innovative and creative. And knowing that we will meet different types of students.
      - Delany Pardo -

      Delete
    2. Yes Breider. This is a movie that highlights the great job that teachers do and how difficult can be. So, many people think that teaching is an easy job where the target is only teach something new and that's it. But, being a professor is like being a psychologist, cheerleader, counsellor, designer and artists at the same time.

      Delete

    3. I agree with you Breider. Our mission as teachers goes beyond the school and it is better to have it in mind from now to be prepared for situations like that.

      Delete
  9. I have learned a lot thanks to this movie and one of those things is not generalizing, because we all have different types of intelligence and learning styles, making us "special" in each part of our learning and we all come to learn in different ways.
    As teachers we can empower our students in every way, being a teacher is not only
    teach and now, it also matters the way we do it? How do the students feel?
    do co-evaluation and self-evaluation in order to improve the quality of our teaching more and more.
    Values are also very important such as empathy and being aware of how our process was to achieve our knowledge and thus guide our students, visualize the end of each class, each semester with success is also extremely important since the better expectations we have better will be the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I agree with you. Empathy is very important in our work as teachers. Understanding that children face different situations that can affect their learning process and that we are able to find resources and strategies to help them.
      Jenifer Villanueva

      Delete
    2. Exactly, I totally agree, being a teacher carries te fact of knowing that not everydoby learns the same way, but also knowing that we have one of the most humanized roles, in which we inspire and transform lifes by lettint them know that being a teacher is more than teaching a subject, ir is prepairing for Life

      Delete
  10. Hello everyone!
    The movie teaches us all many things to keep in mind, among them the importance of having good expectations of our students, believing in them, because if we don't believe in them there is no way they will believe in themselves. As teachers in our lives we will face many challenges, among these many students who may be considered "a problem" but that is why it is a challenge, because we must decipher the cause of their poor performance in order to achieve change and improvement. Even the people we think are not good enough, are special, it is just that our eyes only let us see from a limited vision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you think and share opinions about this topic. it is very important to understand that each person and in this case student has a value and is unique and special in their own way. It is our duty as teachers to understand their needs, strengths and weaknesses in order to know how to make an adequate approach.

      Delete
    2. That's right, I agree, that's the main message of the film, which is to let students know how valuable they are, always believing in them, helping them grow academically and personally.

      Delete
    3. Hello, guys! I totally agree with you, those opinions remind me of a useful tool to take in to account while teaching, it’s called The Pigmalion Effect, and when I first heard of it I was amazed of how powerful it is.

      Delete

    4. I agree with you Alicia, as teachers we have to maintain a positive attitude and great expectation of our students because sometimes those students don’t have a good support in their home and are undervalued by their parents which makes them feel depressed. Our mission is to encourage and push them to succeed and explain to their parents their necessities and the way to handle it .

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, my name is Jenifer Villanueva. With what I saw in the movie and what I have learned in class, I believe that parents and teachers should provide great support and encouragement to children with these special cases. Second, help them find their talents, what they are good at. I think encouragement involves at least four elements. First, listen to the children's feelings. Anxiety, anger, and depression are daily companions of dyslexics. However, their language problems often make it difficult for them to express their feelings. Therefore, adults must help them learn to talk about their feelings. And finally, parents and teachers should reward the effort, not just "the product." For dyslexics, or children with different needs, grades should be less important than progress. When faced with unacceptable behavior, adults should not inadvertently discourage the child with a learning disability. Words like "lazy" or "incorrigible" can seriously damage a child's self-esteem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, in this cases is difficult to recognize their feelings, it must include the emotional part of the students in the educational process, this is important because this will help them to facilitate learning , expressing and identifying when it is giving a positive or negative impact on their education and thus moving forward or making changes wherever relevant.
      Jandrith Prada- Group A

      Delete
  13. Hello peers!
    With this movie I learned how important can be a teacher in a before and after look of someone. As shown in the movie, not even the family supported and understood the child but the teacher did it and he empowered that difference or difficulty the student had and transformed it into something beautiful: art. This way, where people saw problems, the teacher saw oportunities and lots of potential, that's the king of teacher I want to become, no matter how callenging and long the procces could be, my goal is to reach that before and after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yelina Perez: You are right Valentina, as teachers we need to be able to see more than everybody else if it includes our students, see oportunities that may arise from what were problems.

      Delete
    2. This is how teachers and as we have more experience we can more easily identify the potential of our students when not even their family that spends more time with the students can realize it.
      it is important not always to judge the first impression and see beyond the flaws.

      Delete
  14. It is important to open the way for the students and be very attentive to any irregularity presented. i feel that a very important part of all this is the strengthening and construction of self-esteem in the student is very important and we as teachers play a crucial role in this area so essential in any development of the human being. Another aspect that I would like to highlight is the adequate learning spaces, an environment free of prejudices and a lot of tolerance and empthy is necessary for the advancement of our students. As a future teacher I hope to be able to apply these new learnings as well as others that I know will be born in the field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you regarding the student's self-esteem and creating a safe environment for students. As teachers, we must understand that self-esteem plays an important role in the teaching process of children and how to create a classroom without judgments and Teasing will encourage the student to participate in this process.

      Delete
    2. I absolutely agree with you. Teacher's role goes beyond providing knowledge. He needs to be sure every student is in a secure environment that garatees a sense of belonging and the actual construction of the wholeness as a human being. The Humanistic approach helps the really significant teaching when allowing the students to achieve their full potential and this will requiere the bestest environment.

      Delete
  15. I have learned that the importance of the environment each child is in plays an important role in the acquisition of a second language. I can use this to my advantage when teaching a language, knowing that I must find out the teaching style of the students to facilitate their learning process. Helping them to improve where they have deficiencies and enhancing their virtues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, I agree. It is important to know the child's environment as it directly affects her learning process. Therefore, it is also important to create good environments for children, whether in the classroom or at home. Have good ventilation, lighting, move away distractiores objects, etc.
      Jenifer Villanueva

      Delete
    2. Hey guys! I do agree with you two, the learners environment influences their attitude towards learning, that’s why we as teachers should make the best out of it, and taking advantage of every single detail is important for the classes performance. Also, we should be more interested about our students background, because it’ll help us to get to know them more and understand their individual needs.

      Delete
    3. Bryan Sánchez Moreno

      I agree. We must recognize that each mind is a world and work on special cases like Ishaan's.

      Delete
  16. It was a film that brings us the opportunity to reflect on how some students are judged or rejected for lack of orientation and training towards some teachers and parents. They don’t inquire into their students and do not really take the time in search of solutions that equitably help everyone learn significantly. For that reason I consider that Being observant and recursive are aspects that will help me when I am teaching, because I must see through my students and help them to develop their skills.
    Jandrith Prada- Group A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, being observant of the students needs it's something that can helps us as teachers but at some point being observant is not enough, you can be as much obsevant as you want, but if you are not willing to help other people, or are just not emphatetic enough, sadly it won't work.

      Delete
    2. You are right, on many occasions students' attitudes are ignored with the excuse "he is lazy" and they do not take the time to investigate what may be causing the lack of interest and commitment in the classroom. As future teachers we must know our students, know how much can be demanded of them, what motivates them, how willing they are to make an effort; that way we can develop their capabilities to the fullest.
      -Ani Ortega.

      Delete
    3. You are right, as teachers we must train and orient ourselves correctly, as much as possible. respects to these topics, in order to provide students with better teaching; We also need to educate students and parents about topics like those covered in the movie.

      Delete
    4. I agree with your points, guys. I think that happens when teachers don't have many expectations of their students or personally as teachers, and students have gone through a complicated educational process before where it's difficult for them to develop some skills and they look like lazy children who are not engaged in the educational process.

      Delete
  17. Hi everybody. I learned a lot about the movie which can help me as a future language teacher. There are many aspects to notice from the movie. Firstly, every child is unique and we don't know what problems or issues they are having. But, it is important to search if his or her parents know about them. We have to notice that as professors in order to help our students. We have to create a relationship with parents or relatives, and let them know what problems they are facing. Thus, give their parents an orientation about what they can do from home to help their children. Secondly, we have to be patient and being empathetics to be involved in what the kid is feeling, why is he or she doing X behaviour. Thus, create an environment where the kid can trust to us, feel comfortable and secure. Thirdly, we have to be creative in making good strategies to manage the classroom, encourage our students and also to be prepared for facing the different situations we are going to have.
    Finally, be engaged with our profession, to have targets, improve every day, learn from our mistakes, make commitments, strengthen our skills and improve our weaknesses.
    Gloria De Leon Charris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Gloria! I totally agree with you, specially with the third point; our classroom management influences the way learners perceive the learning process we’re carrying out. Creativity help the students to feel motivated and therefore, they’ll have an excellent attitude towards learning, which is crucial for the process performance.

      Delete
  18. For me it is a very inspiring story to convey a message of acceptance, patience and affection. Each child has unique character strengths and abilities that allow them to express her individuality in a social setting. It is what makes them "special". As teachers we must create an environment in which education and attention to students are essential to achieve motivation in education, trying to find the way in which students learn better and feel comfortable, we must not only focus on what we teach but also how we do it. When we begin to notice differences in children it is because a "unique child" is learning and this can be resilient, confident and self-confident that develops at its own pace and in its own individual ways, that is why we must encourage them, discover , awaken that creativity and know how to take advantage of it in the best way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello there!
    There is a constant topic in this type of movies that I deeply enjoy, and that is the empathy teachers have with their students. I am a very empathetic person myself and most of the time just want to help everyone (which I know it's not possible) as some kind of superhuman and seeing in movies like this one where the teacher change the live of one of some students just by doing their work and observing their needs, its enough for me to keep working so in the future so that I can be able to provide a safe and good environment where the students can develop at full their capacity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Andrea. Yes, I can relate to you! Trying to help everyone around us is exhausting, specially when it comes to a classroom environment, but I strongly believe that we as teachers must guarantee our students their improvement throughout their learning processes doesn’t matter what their individual condition is; that’s why teaching is a very challenging profession and it takes a brave person to carry this processes out!

      Delete
    2. That is a really beautiful thing of you to say, I think that for me, it was really inspiring too. It was beautiful how he completely changed the child´s life, he believed, encouraged, had patience and taught him without expecting anything.

      Delete
  20. The film every child is special shows the reality that some children experience, both those with learning difficulties and those without; children who live their day to day with insensitive teachers, blinded by strict rules, high standards, who see everyone as equal; or with parents who compare them to other people.
    This movie teaches us how we should NOT act when teaching, as future teachers we will be a powerful tool, it is our decision to use it to guide children and help them grow academically and personally or make them lose the love of learning.
    It is important that we are attentive to what is happening with students, use different teaching tools that help enhance their skills and use their talents to impart knowledge.
    -Ani Ortega.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you say, today there are many children who suffer and go through the same situations that happen in the film; and sadly, there are many teachers just like the ones in the movie, thus causing these children to not feel safe in their learning. Teachers who are very imposing with traditional education, do not care about the integral and mental development of the child, much less how the child's learning process is.

      Delete
  21. I think that we could take advantage of the movie by seeing the teacher as a model of patience, compassion, and perseverance, because we will probably be involved in similar situations in our career and we can use his experience to handle it in the best way possible.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agree! we need to take the best of this and keep it in mind for possible future teacher experiences.

      Delete
  22. The film has an interesting message, as teachers we will meet many types of students, and our duty is to believe in it, sometimes the simple effort of students is not enough and they need help to stand out and improve, as a teacher having to motivate and give a postive environment to always reach an optimal goal of learning, regardless of the difficulties of the children, all have the right to be able to learn and improve.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bryan Sánchez Moreno

    It is very important to build on our experiences as students, in order to improve our teaching system.
    the teacher gives us a great example with his behavior in front of his students and especially in front of Ishaan. This movie was great

    ReplyDelete
  24. This movie shows us the true vocation of the teacher, of which we should not only focus on imparting our knowledge, if not also to detect if any student may have learning problems in order to accompany and guide them during the educational process based on the different learning methods in each one, also we must take notes about some common mistakes teachers do, as someone doesn't matter if students learn or not, because some of them are not educators, and that is the first mistake in Colombian's schools, for example, there are accounters who are a teacher's school and they could explain all the process but if they have not a pedagogical method many students do not understand and they finally do not like the subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I strongly agree with you and think that this part of education is really challenging. Considering our conditions in Colombia, sometimes there´s no room for lots of things but there should always be a room for empathy and giving a helping hand to our students.
      Also, talkins about how hard teaching is, we shouldn´t rely the precious role of teachers to people who can perfectly give their knowledge and experience about their subject but weren´t taught how to give it, how to empathize, how to create objectives and plans for classes. So I agree with you in this topic too.

      Delete
  25. I think the movie describes perfectly what a teacher is supposed to be. Someone who cares about their students and believes in them, someone that is able to identify their needs, that goes beyond a subject or a topic in a class, someone who supports and guides the student development. I want to be that kind of teacher, I have learned a lot through the years, so I really know what I shouldn’t do as a teacher, what to avoid, the role I have to take and how I have to do it. But, I always have to keep learning because education is always evolving and as teachers, we have to evolve too.
    - Dayana Peralta

    ReplyDelete
  26. The movie and all we have talked about in class left me with the belief that teaching is a challenge for me. It left me thinking that being an educator means having the knowledge to teach, the heart of gold to empathize with students, and the commitment to patiently and diligently teaching. It's a hard and underestimated job, It takes a lot of courage and not everyone is qualified for it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. After watching the film and learning in class throughout the semester, I think that being a teacher is not easy and that as teachers we have the job of making a positive impact on our students. It’s not just about getting to teach knowledge, it’s about making the student feel safe, motivated. Everything I’ve learned has helped me know what I want to be a dynamic and innovative teacher, giving my students a quality education

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts